The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unreadreports - Line: 26 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(961) : eval()'d code 26 errorHandler->error
/global.php 961 eval
/showthread.php 28 require_once

× This forum is read only. As of July 23, 2019, the UserSpice forums have been closed. To receive support, please join our Discord by clicking here. Thank you!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UserSpice is getting a full code rewrite!
I knew this day would come, although I didn't think it would happen this quickly. I'm currently in the Alpha stages of a complete rewrite of UserSpice...a completely new codebase that will contain zero code from the original UserCake.

Why? Well, it's time. I could not meet the objective of building a fast, secure, PHP User Management Framework that completely gets out of the way on the existing codebase.

I'm using all new classes that are going to be fully documented. Some of the documentation will come in the form of showing the actual development of the core classes with full explanation. Basically showing from clean sheet to full production. In addition, there will be extended documentation to show real world usage of the core functionality. That's coming slowly but surely in the menu above.

So....What's it going to look like. In early alpha, the code is really setup to meet my get out of the way mentality. Basically, when you install US4, your root will look like this.

/classes - Contains both classes that are available to both US4 and the developer
/core - Core initialization and configuration files
/users - everything else UserSpice related
index.php - Your starting point for your project.

EVERYTHING else is out of the way and giving you a relatively clean slate to start building whatever your heart desires.

If you want to check out the classes, go download version 3.1.x off the homepage. It's more of a dev release to allow people to see what the classes do. Any of the documentation that is up will show what that release has the potential to do, although the bulk of version 3.1 is still sitting on the old codebase.

The code rewrite is progressing. It's a good feeling to see some of the pages come back to life. I would say 95{3bc1fe685386cc4c3ab89a3f76566d8931e181ad17f08aed9ad73b30bf28114d} of the existing UserSpice/UserCake functions had to be totally rewritten to take advantage of OOP and PDO. It's been a fun project so far. As always, I'll be looking for beta testers to help me track down bugs.
Awesome man! Can't wait to try it out! Got to love starting "fresh". UserCake was great but has many limitations.
Yeah. I agree. How are you feeling about your progress on UAP?
Pretty good. I finally pushed a Beta release. Still have a bunch of plans for it though. lol
I tried to install UAP2 Beta but I didn't have my rewrite stuff on and I didn't get a chance to mess with my config. I think I'm going to install it on xampp. I develop another project with someone who is on linux and we were having file permission issues with sharing xampp files back and forth (I'm windows he's mac), so I wound up going back to a super simple wamp install.

I also want to see if I can pull your old UAP. I'm knee deep converting all of these procedural functions from UserCake to OOP PHP and I'm probably 90{3bc1fe685386cc4c3ab89a3f76566d8931e181ad17f08aed9ad73b30bf28114d} of the way through, but I know you did some of that for the old UAP and I want to check out how you did it.
Just to give users an idea... the old funcs.php file in UserCake/UserSpice was a pile of functions that was 1200 lines long and every single one of them needs to be converted to OOP/PDO while trying to figure out what in the world the original writers were thinking.

I'd say I'm 85{3bc1fe685386cc4c3ab89a3f76566d8931e181ad17f08aed9ad73b30bf28114d} of the way through.
Ok cool. What version of Apache do you have? I did notice that in the newest version the way you enable mod_rewrite usage is a little different than in previous versions. Once working, it's a wonderful tool to use for any project when it comes to making the URLS looks pretty. lol
The WAMP install I'm using is on 2.4.9

Yeah. I've used it on other things in the past, but I haven't used it on User Spice yet. I'm hoping to make it compatible, but not required.
Ahh, I see it now. Two independent 'new' forks + the slightly older frosted version. Not previously related?

Seems I'm into dinosaur territory with my need for procedural Smile I';; continue to hack and slash at 3.0.4 to fit my immediate needs with an eye on remaining compatible with vital 3.x updates.

I'll take a 4.0 when you have it please; Hope I can help.

a