The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unreadreports - Line: 26 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(961) : eval()'d code 26 errorHandler->error
/global.php 961 eval
/showthread.php 28 require_once

× This forum is read only. As of July 23, 2019, the UserSpice forums have been closed. To receive support, please join our Discord by clicking here. Thank you!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Common Modifications
I think the "implementation" could be as simple as making mention that "Groups are supported" in the front-page advertisement for US. Changing the front-end would be icing on the cake. Simply documenting somewhere that "permissions=groups" from a DB and code perspective would be enough from that perspective.
Okay, I'm definitely on board with that then.
Me too...but since we're doing 5.0, we might as well change the permissions UI to groups also.
I think any kind of implicit authority on the basis of ID number goes against the fact that they are arbitrary ID #s.

I can give my $0.02 on how it could be implemented...

In the front end you have to change
Code:
admin_permission.php
to allow for groups to be chosen as members of the group being edited. (Currently only users can be chosen)

Then in the database you
(1) add a column
Code:
user_is_group
to
Code:
User_Permission_Matches
(2) create a view which is simply a join of the
Code:
User_Permission_Matches
table N levels deep - something like this:

CREATE VIEW flattened_user_permission_matches
SELECT upm.user_id, upm.permission_id
FROM User_Permission_Matches upm
WHERE user_is_group = 0
UNION
SELECT upm.user_id, upm2.permission_id
LEFT JOIN User_Permissions_Matches upm2 ON (upm.user_is_group = 0 AND upm2.user_is_group = 1 AND upm.permission_id = upm2.user_id)
UNION
SELECT upm.user_id, upm3.permission_id
LEFT JOIN User_Permissions_Matches upm2 ON (upm.user_is_group = 0 AND upm2.user_is_group = 1 AND upm.permission_id = upm2.user_id)
LEFT JOIN User_Permissions_Matches upm3 ON (upm3.user_is_group = 1 AND upm2.permission_id = upm3.user_id)

And now whenever you want to look up what
Code:
permissions_id
have been assigned to a user you look in
Code:
flattened_user_permission_matches
. What I've got above takes the nesting to 3 levels (user within group within group within group) (I think - I get confused on this stuff - I may only have 2 levels there) but it could easily be extended to N levels just by giving myself a headache for a little bit longer...

Obviously the SQL code above is just conceptual - I'm sure I've got typos throughout and I may have missed important conditions. If you decide to go this way I can look up that old project and copy/paste since it's already working fine there.

If it is easier to change the front end and leave the back-end (the functions that look up permissions) unchanged then you could easily change the name of the existing
Code:
user_permission_matches
to
Code:
fred
and then name the view
Code:
user_permission_matches
. You might be able to come up with a better name than
Code:
fred
... :-) (Oh, wait! We could call it
Code:
user_group_matches
! Actually, no, that probably just complicates the semantics to use both names for the same meaning...)
I like the concept. I was so thrilled that I got those functions to work when I wrote US4, I wasn't ready to make it more complicated. Smile

I like the concept. I was so thrilled that I got those functions to work when I wrote US4, I wasn't ready to make it more complicated. Smile

There is a free service at avatars.adorable.io that I use.

They assign a random avatar based on email address, but once it's assigned, it stays.

I substitute the 'gravatar' code with this:

$grav = "http://api.adorable.io/avatar/100/" . strtolower(trim($user->data()->email));

the '100' is the square pixel size of the avatar, and you'll want to change it a little depending on the page you're using it with.

Users don't really get a 'choice', which is a downside to some. For me, I don't need to worry about it.

Just my 2ยข.

Cheers!

-- Smug
I love it...thanks for sharing!
That DB.php mod is nice but why not just use $db->query()?