The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unreadreports - Line: 26 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(961) : eval()'d code 26 errorHandler->error
/global.php 961 eval
/showthread.php 28 require_once

× This forum is read only. As of July 23, 2019, the UserSpice forums have been closed. To receive support, please join our Discord by clicking here. Thank you!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does UserSpice 3 mean for UserSpice 4?
I've done a little bit of talking about the direction of US4 and just made a post about putting UserSpice 2.5.x to bed. So where does that leave UserSpice 3.x?

US3 seems to be really stable and about as feature complete as its going to get. As users find bugs due to different server configurations, I'm going back and adding little fixes here and there. So, who should still use US3 today?

1. Users upgrading from UserCake.
US3 with a few documented modifications serves as a direct upgrade to UserCake and US 2.5.x. You basically only have to make one change to the login procedure to deal with the different password hashing algorithms.

2. Anyone wanting to start NOW!
UserSpice 3 works and it's going to be supported for a while, so if you want to start now, go for it. I just want to make ONE suggestion. If you'd like to have the ability to upgrade to US4, don't muck around with the default database tables. Feel free to make additional tables, but don't mess with the originals. The reason? I'm building a migration tool to move your tables to the new table structure and it won't know what to do with your modified tables. It's basically going to copy your existing info to the new tables and leave the old ones alone, so that's pretty nice for testing purposes.

3. Anyone wanting to use purely procedural PHP.
I have some pretty cool things to basically make a hybrid of OOP and Procedural database calls (and results) in US4, so you can still do things the old fashioned way for the most part, BUT, if you want to go 100{3bc1fe685386cc4c3ab89a3f76566d8931e181ad17f08aed9ad73b30bf28114d} procedural, then US3 is the product for you. The code has been working procedurally for 7 years and it will continue to.

A beta release of US4 is expected by February 7, 2016, hopefully sooner if you want to check out what's next.