The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unreadreports - Line: 26 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(961) : eval()'d code 26 errorHandler->error
/global.php 961 eval
/showthread.php 28 require_once

× This forum is read only. As of July 23, 2019, the UserSpice forums have been closed. To receive support, please join our Discord by clicking here. Thank you!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving to github
In US5, we might end up swinging the other way on being overzealous in the DB managed settings, but I think I would prefer having it there rather than config stuff scattered through the file. I suppose one view I have is if it can be set once and forgotten, such as during initial setup, that is good. If it will change over time, then I feel like the DB approach keeps everything in one spot.

Media Wiki is a case where a lot of the config is done in the file, and I hated trying to set it up because you need to self validate things, and if it isn't right, you need to guess what is wrong.

That said, point taken. This is where more collaboration and feedback would be helpful to determine what makes sense and what doesn't. And for that, I think I've heard you loud and clear, so I'll "git" right on trying to use Github as a habit. I'll try to upload the first one right now (though I'm not sure how to handle the DB side of things...I guess that only needs to be uploaded when something changes...)
Maybe I goofed maybe I got it right, NO idea Tongue But it is there:

https://github.com/mudmin/UserSpice5-Dev
Oh, I remembered one key point to why I want to get stuff into the DB...settings in the DB don't get overwritten when you update a file. That for me is a big push. Right now, there is so much stuff changing, the DB is saving a lot of work from losing settings when I restore from a previous version, or update a test site, etc. I guess the solution to that is what I did with the DB credentials...there is no other code BUT some setup code there. Separation of church and state I guess...
Last thing I promise...I'm used to working alone (as I'm sure mudmin is as well, to an extent) so sometimes I do stupid things. Let me know if you plan to check something out and I'll make sure I've recently committed. We'll make this work.
I submitted a PR on the US5-Dev repository. Let me know how it goes. (I tried to keep it to something that would be pretty obvious in terms of value so you didn't have to spend time trying to decide if it *should* become part of US5).

QUESTION: If that works OK, will it suffice for me to submit PRs in the future or should I also comment over here or via email to make sure you notice the PR there?
I'm fine with just the PR since I get a notification. For now, you would really be the only other person contributing, so that's good enough.
Here's a really good tutorial on git:

Code:
https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/comparing-workflows

As I read through each succeeding one seemed closer to what was needed until the final one seemed perfect... But each one builds on the last one, so it all fits together really nicely. Definitely worth a read-thru.
That looks pretty good, but is still a bit foreign to me. That said, I'm open to taking it slow and making this work.
I'm very vocal that I think git is one of the least user friendly pieces of garbage that I've ever used and idk how someone hasn't come up with something better Smile

I do think it's great for tracking changes like we use it, but it drives me insane using it in my development flow. When it goes wrong, it usually goes VERY wrong.
I think that is what I'm afraid of most. I tried using a version control system with another language (LabVIEW) and even though I was the only person using it, I somehow screwed it up and had to spend a day or two figuring things out. I don't mind trying new things, but when I screw it up I need to know someone can fix it the right way, or lacking that, I'll brute force a fix my own way.