The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unreadreports - Line: 26 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(961) : eval()'d code 26 errorHandler->error
/global.php 961 eval
/showthread.php 28 require_once

× This forum is read only. As of July 23, 2019, the UserSpice forums have been closed. To receive support, please join our Discord by clicking here. Thank you!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US4 Logins usernames v email address
Hello UserSpice!

I'm new to UserSpice and the forum, so this is my first post Smile

The dedication and quality in your continued development of UserSpice is amazing and offers developers (I'm a hobbyist) a fantastic, secure, PHP User Management Framework, which save us a considerable amount of time and effort, for which I'm eternally grateful Smile

In the United Kingdom, most website logins are done via email/password, with far far fewer via username/password - which having installed US4, see this is the login method you have adopted? From your forum posts, I can see that US did used to login via email/password, but this was changed to username/password?

Out of interest, why was this - and would it be possible to allow users to login either via email/password or username/password, as this would cover all bases?

Many thanks

Jamie
Hi Jamie! Thanks for using UserSpice and for the kind words.

The original thought behind switching to usernames is that it obscures the email address and prevents people from trying to do an unauthorized password reset and it also gives a slight protection for people who use the same passwords at a bunch of sites. That is all VERY slight a major benefit.

My developer friend from the UK (astropos) and I are planning on at minimum giving you the option of being able to toggle a switch in the back to allow EITHER login with username or password or possibly the ability to just enter either one.

After spending a few months solid on UserSpice, I wound up moving (and getting a new job) on very short notice, so I took a few weeks off of active development, but I'm back at the saddle again and hoping to push these features out in 4.1 in a few weeks. The good news is that it should be a pretty painless upgrade.
Moving is a huge event, hope all went as smoothly as possible - and with the new job too.

Many thanks for your reply and explanation. Great news you and astropos are going to have this sorted in the coming weeks.

Like yours, my thought would be to allow logins, via; 1. emails, 2. usernames or 3. either - as this covers everyone's needs.

That's the plan. We'll get on that. I'm kind of moving in stages, but I'm hoping to have my development computer setup by Monday and from there it will just be a process of getting back into this. My goal is to tackle this and a few other issues on a 4 hour skype I have scheduled with another developer next Saturday.