The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unreadreports - Line: 26 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(961) : eval()'d code 26 errorHandler->error
/global.php 961 eval
/showthread.php 28 require_once

× This forum is read only. As of July 23, 2019, the UserSpice forums have been closed. To receive support, please join our Discord by clicking here. Thank you!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Touch the Core
One of the things that can help make UserSpice more upgradeable is if we can resist touching the core files that are inside of the users folder. Thanks to a suggestion by AstroPos, I made a little snippet inside the userspice header that basically lets you customize userspice files where they won't be overwritten by updates. The feature will be fleshed out over time, but the gist of the way it works is:

Say you want to mod or create your own account.php instead of the one userspice uses.

Put YOUR account.php in the custom folder. When any link sends you to our account.php file, it will automatically redirect to yours if it exists. We're going to overhaul and simplify the headers and the menus before officially releasing 4.1, but you can play with it and watch the feature develop in UserSpice 4.1 Alpha 2 and later.
Hi,

I recently have come across userspice and have been playing around with version 4.1.3. In regards to not changing the core files, where is the best place to develop my site? should I just develop in the root directory or should I be using the usersc folder for all of my development or should I only use this folder for customizations to the userspice core?

Just trying to pick up the best practice for ease of update for future releases.

In regards to ease of update and following the patching paths, do I need to apply patches in the order they were released or will new patches include existing patches?

Cheers,

John

Sorry I missed this post. I thought I replied to it.

You definitely want to apply patches in order in case two modify the same file...you want to make sure you have the latest.

Personally, I develop most of my project in the actual root of userspice and then add subfolders as needed. I only use usersc when I need a custom version of a userspice file.